Install/Upgrade a global Drush
# Download latest stable release using the code below or browse to github.com/drush-ops/drush/releases. php -r "readfile('https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.drush.org/drush.phar');" > drush # Or use our upcoming release: php -r "readfile('https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.drush.org/drush-unstable.phar');" > drush # Test your install. php drush core-status # Make `drush` executable as a command from anywhere. Destination can be anywhere on $PATH. chmod +x drush sudo mv drush /usr/local/bin # Optional. Enrich the bash startup file with completion and aliases. drush init
- MAMP users, and anyone wishing to launch a non-default PHP, needs to edit ~/.bashrc so that the right PHP is in your $PATH.
- We have documented alternative ways to install, including Windows.
- If you need to pass custom php.ini values, run
php -d foo=bar drush.phar --php-options=foo=bar
- Your shell now has useful bash aliases and tab completion for command names, site aliases, options, and arguments.
- A drushrc.php has been copied to ~/.drush above. Customize it to save typing and standardize options for commands.
- Upgrade using this same procedure.
Install a site-local Drush
In addition to the global Drush, it is recommended that Drupal 8 sites be built using Composer, with Drush listed as a dependency.
- When you run
drush, the global Drush is called first and then hands execution to the site-local Drush. This gives you the convenience of running
drushwithout specifying the full path to the executable, without sacrificing the safety provided by a site-local Drush.
- Optional: Copy the examples/drush.wrapper file to your project root and modify to taste. This is a handy launcher script; add --local here to turn off all global configuration locations, and maintain consistency over configuration/aliases/commandfiles for your team.
- Note that if you have multiple Drupal sites on your system, it is possible to use a different version of Drush with each one.
|Drush Version||Drush Branch||PHP||Compatible Drupal versions||Code Status|
|Drush 8||8.x||5.4.5+||D6, D7, D8|
|Drush 7||7.x||5.3.0+||D6, D7|
|Drush 6||6.x||5.3.0+||D6, D7||Unsupported|
|Drush 5||5.x||5.2.0+||D6, D7||Unsupported|